Advances in business knowledge and technology have radically changed business systems and processes – for example, how organizations buy and sell goods and services, integrate their supply chain and logistic systems, and reach or retain customers. As a result, critical to today’s businesses is the ability to get the right information to the right people at the right time, so that both strategic and operational decisions are made properly and quickly. To help students develop this ability, the Leeds School of Business offers the OPIM Certificate.
The OPIM Certificate requires students to complete any three courses in the Operations Management and/or Information Management tracks of the Management and Entrepreneurship major (3 credits each for a total of 9 credits) and either a faculty-supervised OPIM research project (MGMT 4900: Independent Study) or internship (MGMT 4910: Academic Internship in Management). In addition, students are required to maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher for the selected courses and receive a letter grade of “B-” or higher in each of the three courses. Successful completion of the certificate program will appear on the student’s transcript.
To pursue the OPIM Certificate, follow these steps:
- Visit the Undergraduate Student Services Office (Rm.115) to inform them of your intention to complete the certificate, and to pick up a copy of the OPIM Certificate Application/Verification form. (The form is also available on this website).
- Contact the faculty advisor for the OPIM Certificate (the advising office can direct you), who will assist you in completing this paperwork.
- Complete two of the three courses you are using for the certificate. (Refer to the course catalog and/or meet with the OPIM Certificate faculty advisor to learn more about each of the courses offered)
- Obtain the Independent Study Form, located on this website, or from the Undergraduate Student Services Office (Rm.115). Then meet with the faculty advisor for the OPIM Certificate for help in completing this paperworkIn addition to the independent study form, you must complete a project charter for the research project or internship. This paperwork must be submitted to the faculty advisor no later than the end of the 1st week of classes.
Sample Project Charter
- Meet with the OPIM Certificate faculty advisor as agreed throughout the semester you are completing the research project or internship.
When completing your paperwork, make sure to maintain the same level of writing quality you would when pursuing a job opportunity.